Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Week 1, Day 2

This is the beginning...a new start. I have two books by John "The Penguin" Bingham because I am one of these people that likes to read the instruction manual before beginning anything. I am basically running for my life to become healthy and get in shape. Now I should say that I am the crappiest runner out there. I am like John...I am slow, a penguin not a rabbit, a gazelle, definitely not a cheetah and I probably don't look good running. I don't even enjoy running. It is not easy for me...I breathe hard and basically have to force myself to continue taking each step. I am pretty sure that no matter how fit I become, I will never be one of these people who rolls right out of bed bright and early in the morning just itching to get in 5 miles before the day begins. However, John says you are a runner if you run and so I guess I am a runner.

Right now I am currently just trying to build up to running two miles. I am going to be hitting the pavement 5 times a week to accomplish this goal. Today I did 30 minutes: 10 cycles of 1 minute running followed by 2 minutes of fast-paced walking to recover. Marathon training officially begins at the end of August. It is my goal to run the whole half-marathon. We will see if I make it.

Books:
- The Courage to Start by John Bingham
- Marathoning for Mortals by John Bingham